Before we get to the how of optimising your Instagram profile, let’s start with why it’s important…
Your Instagram profile is a valuable piece of real estate when used well. It’s your opportunity to tell someone visiting your account what you and your business are all about, but it can do more than that. When your bio is written well it will help the reader to know immediately if they’re in the right place and this is what will lead them to tap the follow button. And they’re the people you want following you – your people. Your people are more likely to engage with you and become your customer. So now that you know why, let’s move onto how to optimise your Instagram Bio.
Here’s our step by step guide to optimising your Instagram Profile
- Make sure you have an Instagram Business account.
- Identify hashtags and keywords that someone looking for your type of business will be entering into the Instagram search field. These words can be used within your profile to drive traffic to your account.
- Set your Username as your business name; so you’re searchable when potential customers are looking for you! You have 30 characters to use.
- Set your profile picture as your logo or other branded image. If your logo isn’t readable when uploaded you may need to have a version designed that fits into that space.
- Choose a name. Your Instagram name is the name that appears under your logo (or branded image) and you also have 30 characters for this section. Optimise this area of your profile by using your business name, tagline or keywords. Because it’s good to have a different name to your username, you could use this section to describe your specialty if your username is already your business name. This area is searchable so make sure you’re including a word that people will be using when looking for what you do.
- Complete the Instagram Bio Section. You have 150 characters to tell people what you’re all about. It’s important to hone in on your area of expertise so you’re attracting the RIGHT people straight away. You want someone reading your Bio to know immediately they’re in the right place. Once again, this area is searchable so make sure you’re including words your audience will be searching for when looking for businesses like yours.
- Set your business category. Be as accurate as possible to increase your chances of being found.
- Add your location if this is relevant to your audience.
- Add all the ways your audience can find you. This is KEY if you have a physical location.
- Add Instagram Stories Highlights to showcase what you offer. You can use them to curate collections of Instagram Stories that your followers — both old and new — can tap into and watch any time they like, making them a great way to showcase what you offer.
- Include a CTA (call to action). You can include one link in your Profile – if you want more than one link, utilise linkin bio later; this feature allows you to have all of your instagram pictures clickable and linkable from the bio.